Friday, February 25, 2011

Snowy, Snowy Friday

Another snow day here today. I just got our car out of the ditch with the help from Bub. He pushed, I rocked and we finally got that sucker out. I really don't like driving in icy slush. I got stuck once yesterday on the hill going to the elementary school; it took two men pushing my poor little white minivan up the hill. On the way home, I barely made it up two little hills. There is a reason that every other car here in St. Joe is a four-wheel drive. Enough whining, here is a tasty black bean dip. I sometimes add 8 ounces of cream cheese and a chipotle chile to spice it up a little. You can add some cooked ground beef or chorizo to make a tasty burrito filling. Also great with scrambled eggs in a breakfast burrito..

Black Bean Dip

4 Slices Bacon, browned and drained
1/2 Onion, diced
1/2 Sweet Red Pepper, diced
1 Chipotle Pepper, chopped
1/2 Teaspoon Cumin
1/2 Teaspoon Oregano
2 15 Ounce Can Black Beans, with juice
2 Tablespoons Cilantro

Saute onion and peppers in remaining bacon fat Add spices to onion and pepper
Add beans and liquid Simmer to slightly thicken, cool Add crumbled bacon Top with cilantro and sour cream if desired